Friday, January 10, 2020

2020 31 Days of Comics Challenge - A Comic That Totally Blew Your Mind Daredevil #227

2020 31 Days of Comics Challenge - A Comic That Totally Blew Your Mind
Daredevil #227
By Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli
I have read ten thousands and thousands of comic books in my lifetime. There have been a of comics that blew me away – the Neal Adams X-Men were some of the first but that was because of his awesome art. I’d say Uncanny X-Men #107 with the introduction of the Shiar Imperial Guard. Crisis On Infinite Earths also blew me away at certain parts. The Ultimates are certainly a comic that had my mouth agape. But if there is one comic storyline that I never saw coming it was Daredevil #227 that kicked off what is now known as the Born Again Saga.

From almost every page I was going like, “Oh, crap!”

Karen Page turns into a junkie. Sells out Matt Murdock.
The prose that Frank Miller wrote with Daredevil on the rooftops.
He wakes up one morning and his electricity has been turned off.
His account is frozen.
A cop testifies that Matt Murodck committed perjury.
Glorianna O’Breen breaks up with Matt.
Matt’s apartment blows up. And Matt knows it’s the Kingpin behind all this.

With every page turn there was this feeling of dread that I felt. Now I read this when this first came out and it was pure agony to wait for the next issue. What was going to happen? How will Matt/DD survive this?

I must have read the entire saga over a hundred times in my lifetime and I can quote lines and conversations from the entire series. When I read it today, it still has that same effect that it did all those long years ago. Right away, I knew I held a special comic in my hands. 

There were no Diamond Previews during this time. No internet. No promos. Nothing. Just pure storytelling. A sleeper that no one saw comic a mile away even if Miller had revitalized Daredevil.

No comments:

Post a Comment