Wednesday, December 30, 2015

EW's first look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange


Was I ever a fan of the Doctor Strange comic? No. I never bought one until the recent release under writer Jason Aaron and artist Chris Bachalo. I did have a few hand me downs from an uncle; those old Strange Tales comics that I wish I still had today. However, I liked him with the Defenders -- the old comics with Nighthawk, Hulk, Namor, the Silver Surfer, and Valkyrie -- that I collected as much as I could. It was a difficult comic to get ahold of unless I went to the old American military bases at Clark and Subic (occasionally at the old Army & Navy Club along Roxas Boulevard). 

I always wondered how the good Master of the Mystical Arts always found himself playing roles in big crossovers from Infinity Gauntlet to Infinity to Original Sin to Secret Wars yet never had a great solo comic. Maybe there are but I just never read them until this new incarnation under Aaron and Bachalo.

And that leads me to the upcoming film. No matter how good Benedict Cumberbatch is as Doctor Who, I wasn't sure he'd be a great cast for Stephen Strange. Maybe he is. Of course, now I am super excited for the film and the Entertainment Weekly (how do they always get the first photos out of these films anyhow) cover issue will only serve to whet my appetite for the film and all things Doctor Strange.

Looking forward to this!



No comments:

Post a Comment