Friday, December 11, 2015

Some stuff from my collection of Alfredo Alcala comics


With the re-issue of Secret Teaching of A Comic Book Master: The Art of Alfredo Alcala, it adds to my collection from this great artist. 


I value my copy of the extremely rare Voltar from Magic Carpet. As do I my copies of those The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian and Vampirella where Alcala drew everything (pencils and inks) that I have kept all these years. I also have about a dozen of his comics from his days in Marvel and DC. Voltar though is something special. Goes hand-in-hand with my collection of Prince Valiant. The Magic Carpet magazine features two stories drawn by Alcala: Voltar as written by Manuel Auad and "Bucacaneers of the Skull Planet" as penned by Bill Blackbeard.



Really love these old stuff. 



Vampirella #9 (September 1980) "Devil Woman" written by Don Glut

The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian #55 (August 1980) "Warrior and Wizard"  written by Roy Thomas
The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian #75 (April 1982) "Temple of the Twelve-Eyed Thing" written by Roy Thomas
The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian #80 (September 1982) "The Colossus of Argos" written by Michael Fleisher
The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian #83 (December 1982) "Devil in the Dark" written by Michael Fleisher
The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian #89 (june 1983) "Gamesmen of Asalgun" written by Michael Fleisher


Other works from Filipino creators I am collecting: Alex NiƱo, Rafael Kayanan, Rudy Nebres, and Nestor Redondo. 



I have another The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian cover dated July 1993 that features a story drawn by Kayanan and written by Roy Thomas -- "The Gods Above; the Beasts Below."

No comments:

Post a Comment